Business Development Manager for Multicultural Markets
The Business Development Manager for Multicultural Markets plays a key role in representing Madison’s spirit of innovation and inclusivity on the national stage. With an emphasis on culturally diverse groups, organizations and associations, this position is responsible for selling greater Madison as an ideal place for convention and events that take place in iconic venues including the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Monona Terrace. We are proud of our work in helping Madison earn a reputation as a place where all are welcome, and this position will propel our ambitious goals to create awareness, drive interest and close sales in a competitive landscape.
We are seeking an experienced sales leader to represent the Madison area at national trade shows and association meetings. The successful candidate will bring proven sales experience, a goal-oriented mindset and an interest in driving economic impact to our diverse local community.
Destination Madison reflects the inquisitive thoughts, inclusive spirit and independent vibe shared by those of us who call Madison, Wisconsin home. It's a city of five lakes where we splash in the summer and skate in the winter. Where we breeze along platinum-rated bike paths. Enjoy noshing on James Beard award-winning cuisine and sipping classic brandy old fashioneds. Soak in culture framed by Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and invigorated by diverse neighborhood festivals. Destination Madison shows visitors from around the world that our city isn't a place you stumble across on a map; it's a city you seek out and return to again and again.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Education and Experience
- Prospect, research and solicit accounts within multicultural sales markets, such as LGBTQ+ and Black meetings, etc., to qualify them for convention and event business in the Madison area
- Cultivate strong relationships with local businesses, hotels, corporate partners and community organizations affiliated with targeted accounts to gain their assistance when bidding on potential sales opportunities
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of primary meeting, event and lodging facilities within the area
- Maintain familiarity with competitive markets, facilities and any issues that impact the organization’s ability to effectively sell the greater Madison area and its facilities
- Create and deliver sales proposals, bid presentations and client tours that showcase relevant facilities, services and area benefits
- Maintain Customer Relations Management (CRM) database with current and potential convention, sports and tradeshow client information
- Develop and maintain a visible profile at assigned industry events and trade shows
- Maintain and hold active memberships in appropriate associations such as MPI, IGLTA, National Coalition of Black Meeting Planners, etc.
- Develop feasible short and long-term plans and strategies for achieving personal and department goals and objectives
Required skills, knowledge and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 4 years of related experience in B2B sales, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training
- Professional experience in hospitality sales, event planning, or similar experience within the industry is preferred
Work Environment & Job Specifications
The work environment and job specifications listed below are representative of those that must be met by an employee, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Excellent communicator across a variety of written and verbal platforms – including presentation experience. Bilingual abilities are a plus
- Strong organizational and time management skills with a commitment to accuracy and quality
- Strong customer relation and networking skills, with the ability to identify client needs and build relationships based on confidence and trust
- A strong team orientation is critical due to the collaborative culture of Destination Madison and the meeting and convention industry
- Motivated to engage in the sales process with an ability to actively pursue opportunities and challenges with a sense of urgency and enthusiasm
- Ability to relate openly and comfortably across diverse groups of people to build rapport
- Understanding of associations and the non-profit world preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The expected pay range for this position is $58,000 to $68,000 pear year, commensurate with experience plus incentive potential. A comprehensive benefits package is offered to all full-time team members. More information is available on our Careers page: www.visitmadison.com/jobs
Destination Madison is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
- Primarily perform work in our downtown Madison office, with flexibility to work remotely based on job duties and current organizational policies.
- Occasionally move around the office and access or use computers, office equipment, telephone, and any other pertinent supplies, space or equipment used to perform the duties of the position.
- Work with frequent interruption and sit for long periods of time. Lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally move up to 35 pounds
- Frequent travel within the Madison area to visit venues and clients is required. Occasional travel to tradeshows and conventions (approximately 4-6 times per year). Mileage reimbursement and parking is provided.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required for travel, events, and organization functions.